Sunday, November 18, 2012

Two hands at a time


One of these years I'm treating myself to an "I Survived the Drug Squad Retreat" tee shirt. The experience is always powerful, but emotionally and physically draining. If I had the resources I would LOVE to have a charter bus. Not only would the kids have space to stretch their legs, but my body would not have to deal with the ever so epic jutting of springs from the seat and jarring motions of stopping and turning. Oy to the vey! That's a wish that I will throw out there and see if it, just maybe, has a shot of coming to fruition.
My body and mind are in a state of decompression as I head into 2.5 days of further craziness. But even though I'm exhausted so much of me is in awe of how fortunate I am to have the opportunity to be involved with so many stellar individuals. The kids were saturated with the theme of changing the world through their words, actions and decision. I believe that it isn't about going out and trying to conquer the world in some grandiose fashion, but more along the lines of altering others outlooks in life through our words aligning with our actions. I am excited, yet again, to see where the road leads these young people.
Just as with anything in life, some of them will listen and take on the challenge while others will allow the opportunity to slip through their fingertips. Some are ready and others are not; that's just how we're wired as people. But if just one takes the challenge the weekend will have been well worth it. The truth is it is so easy to get caught up in ourselves, but when you go against the grain and take the uphill challenge to go against all society tells us; your life will never be the same.

So as we go into a new week with Thanksgiving fast approaching I'll enjoy the next 12 hours of down time before Turkey madness ensues. I am grateful for so very much in life and hope to have some time over the latter part of the week to reflect and give thanks. 

No comments: