Thursday, July 31, 2008

R&R in Egypt... not so bad



I woke this morning and it took me almost fifteen minutes to figure out what day it was. One aspect that I love about traveling. My goal was to head down to Dahab, an hour south, and dive Blue Hole just off the coast. It's world renowned & I haven't had the opportunity to dive since Fiji. But I made the grave mistake of using the tap to brush my teeth last night. It wasn't until after the fact that it registered a big, 'uh-oh.' And that it was. I spent most of the day napping in my hut and lounging around until about three when I began to feel back to normal. It's amazing how quick it hit me, but I was fortunate to have a clean, relaxed atmosphere to get back to sorts.

Later afternoon I ventured off shore with a few travelers from Syria, Switzerland and two South Africans. We swam about ten minutes out and found an amazing reef break teeming with aquatic life that I've never seen before. Coral of brilliant pinks and purples and fish bearing all shapes and sizes. On the swim back in we spotted two sea turtles that were larger even than the ones I spotted while diving on the Barrier Reef in Australia. They're pretty much the most subdued animal I've ever seen and it's hard to not flash to images of Finding Nemo. Like totally. We tracked them for about fifteen minutes until they headed a bit farther off shore. What beautiful creatures.

I'm now sorting out details for embarking to Cairo tomorrow. I'll have three evenings & two days to explore. I'm pretty confident that should suffice. Heading back to camp now to unwind and meet up with some other travelers. Have a great day!

No comments: