Friday, July 1, 2011

where the 'couch surfer' gained her wings


I've often been asked where my eagerness and desire for travel started. I spent most of my life before college in Medford where lattes are more common than Beduoin tea and yuppies are more prevalent than Sherpa sightings. Don't get me wrong, I love where I grew up. The funny thing is that I never really fit the mold in 08055 and I'm not sure if that's either a good or bad thing. I just remember yearning for color, experience and an explosion of culture way back in high school.

I'm just going to blame it on my parents : ) They started it all. Yup, that's what I said. I didn't have any clue about their ventures until I already had my couch surfing wings, but I'll just say it's a genetic thing. My parents have been together since freshman year of high school. Pretty cool. After high school they treked across country (the original couch surfers, baby!) and really saw the country via tent, back pack and I am sure flip flops. From California they headed to Hawaii where my mom spent time some time with my dad while he was in the service.

They spent a heap of time in the States, but it wasn't until their late fourties that they were able to go abroad with Jess and I. We spent a week and a half backpacking through the UK. I have to tell you seeing my parents schlep their packs up a very steep and cobble stone laden Royal Mile in Scotland heading towards our hostel gave me a whole new level of respect for them. They were troopers then and now.
I love where I grew up. But I also love that I never have and probably never will fully fit the mold. I am grateful that my couch surfing, flip flop wearing, and country hungry ways were established and nurtured at a young age. It's pretty cool. I am excited to add Colombia to the list. Life is a big blank canvas waiting to be painted. My hope is to splash as many vibrant colors on it as possible. Never settle. Never stop dreaming.
Web Counter
Free Counter

No comments: