Thursday, July 14, 2011

Me gusta Colombia



Another successful trek with the backpack, no compass and new friends. From the get go many were leery of my venture to Colombia. I heard over an over, why Colombia? why not somewhere in Europe? How about London?' Hmmm...let me think. No gracias.

This time around I spent more time researching, networking and pulling my itinerary together. There definitely has been justified reasons for being apprehensive in naming Colombia as an international tourist destination. But the government and country of Colombia is doing its best to shake its bad reputation and long history of violence, drugs and just all around negative perception held by most of the world. For the past ten years there has been a shift in government leaders and a consistent focus by the military and police to dismantle drug alliances, drug cultivation/ production and all of the nasty stuff that accompanies it. Is the drug issue a thing of the past? Absolutely not. But tolerance for it has lessened and most of the warfare is going on is concentrated in the northern portion of the country. In the jungles near the Venezuela/Colombia borders violence, drug growth and production is still intense and real. There are still serious problems and violence. The drug issue will always be a problem, but it seems there priorities here and realization that tourism's success banks of the world perceiving this place as safe and not a huge mound of cocaine, guns and counterfeit money. I think the perception, in many areas of the world, is beginning to change. It is a slow process. And now for something completely different...

This morning I headed out to the markets for a little shopping for some things to bring back home. I packed up on a bit of coffee, cocoa and some snacks for heading to the airport tomorrow. I have wanted to pick up a few gems while here and a friend recommended a small section of town to check things out. Ducked into a few places and managed to pick up a few stones that I'm pretty happy with. Woop!

I headed up to the north part of the city to meet up with a friend, Hernan, and do lunch. It was absolutely one of the best meals I have had during my time here. Grilled plantain, chorizo with grilled potatoes and a traditional soup heaping with rice, potatoes, corn, avocado and a whole bunch of other ingredients I couldn't figure out. It was awesome!


As evening fell and this couch surfer's feet were aching from ten days of hiking, walking and hitting the pavement in a way I haven't in a long time. I was observing a protest locals were having on the main strip when a little shop caught my eye. Manicure and pedicure! Yay! I strolled in and for $11 USD I was all about a little pampering. I can say with confidence there was no 'judge free zone'going on with these ladies. My feet, legs and fingers look a little rough from ten days of global treking. When three ladies huddled around me poking and shaking their heads and proceeding to suggest that I needed 'much help.'I figured there was no room for hiding the fact that I was in dire need of some serious assistance. For the next hour they went to work and when they whipped out the sand paper, I was sure that this was not going to be pain free. But, it was so worth it!
I am ready to go home and it has been a wonderful trip with great pics, memories and experiences. Viva Colombia!
Web Counter
Free Counter

No comments: