Monday, July 11, 2011

Dodging donkeys and chilling on a hammock


I have returned to civilization. I woke this morning and treked a solid three hours through the heart of the jungle sweating like mad and about midway through wishing I had rented a horse instead of opting to go on foot. The past few days were truly spectacular. The two french backpackers I met in Santa Marta accompanied me along the coast line. We pressed past the first two towns and made camp at Cabo San Juan with our hammocks perched high on a hill overlooking the coastline. The views, from all angles, were simply astounding. From sunrise to sunset the scenery took my breath away and it was the definition of paradise. I wish time permitted me to stay longer, but I am really happy that I was able to experience the few days that I had.

Getting to and from was sort of like prepping for the ironman, but I survived. At one point a line of donkeys with bags of grain made there way along a path and one nearly knocked the wind out of me, but I managed to grab a vine in time and sort of swing around it. I actually found myself laughing out loud and feeling very ´Jewel of the Nile¨ for a split moment. From geckos, tribes people, dodging donkeys and scaling the sides of hills with vines it was insane and I loved every second of it!
There are still villages of Colombians who have resided in this area since the beginning and crossing paths with families making their way to and from villages was really amazing. Every moment here has been an experience.

I will go into more detail later, but I have to catch a bus to Cartagena which is about four hours south of here. Ciao for now!

Web Counter
Free Counter

No comments: