Monday, July 14, 2008

Can I pinch myself??? Ouch!





I landed in Israel mid-afternoon yesterday and my time here has so far been superb. I'm staying with two fellow couch surfers, Daniel & Yuval, who live about 15 minutes by bus out of city center. Their flat has a spectacular view of the city and is in a very authentic feeling neigborhood. Last night we dined on curry chicken, quinoa, homemade sundried tomato bread & hummus. I was ready for the iron chef cymbal to sound. Yuval, you can cook man!


I accompanied Daniel into town where he works and made my way to the city center. With so much to see and do I had to keep my priorities in check. So within 3.45 minutes my feet were submerged in the Ocean. I'd say its easily twenty degrees warmer than the Jersey Shore. Tomorrow it looks like I'm meeting up with another couch surfer to catch some incoming swell. It was very different to sit on the beach with army persons riding horses up and down the beach every half hour or so. Security is a priority and their presence is known, but it's just a way of life that doesn't seem to hinder the everyday functioning in life. There are guards posted outside of banks, shopping malls and elsewhere who look through bags and keep an eye out. I'm good with it.


I spent a good part of the day relaxing on the beach, wandering & having a blast in the markets. I've have never seen so many pita stands in my entire life. Yuval entrusted me with his trust pita holder so I could enjoy lunch on the beach snacking on a hummus, eggplant pita. Yum! The fruit here is radiant in purples, yellows and greens stacked high on vendors tables. Apples, figs, cactus fruit and countless others tempt the eye. So for day one, its been pretty good. I hope to enjoy each day to its fullest here meeting new people and challenging myself to continually go beyond my comfort zone. Ciao!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lawler,
Sounds like you're having an amazing time over there! I would also be very excited about hummus and pita being the staple food. And about going beyond your comfort zone- where exactly is that? Cause dumpster diving was WAY beyond mine! Stay safe!