Thursday, July 24, 2008

In J'lem...again : )





The past two days have been a whirlwind heading north, south and maybe even a bit east. I made my way up to the Kibbutz via Beit She 'an and arrived late afternoon. Beit She 'an is about two hours north of Jerusalem and is smack dab in the middle of the desert. As soon as I hopped off the bus my epidermis was glistening and the heat, for the first time since my arrival, felt oppressive.
The kibbutz is a self sufficient community with acres of pomegrante, date and lime trees. People from all ends of the earth seeking to volunteer or become citizens & study Hebrew gather and receive free accomodation & food in exchange for working a few hours a day. Its really quite amazing. There are over a dozen buildings housing men, women and children in this particular kibbutz.
In the morning Daniel headed out to milk the goats and then we headed off for breakfast. I had a tour of the place & then we headed into town to see the Beit She 'an National Park. Pretty impressive, but it was like walking through an inferno. Hot, hot and a little extra hot on the side.
Around five I headed to the bus stop bound for Jerusalem. It ended up I hopped on this bus carrying all soldiers and I found out it was the long route to Jerusalem. Long is a total understatement. But, long story short I'm back in town. I met some folks for dinner & am staying with some friends of friends of friends - that sort of thing. Love it here & look forward to soaking in the day tomorrow. Good times.

No comments: