Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Swiss Scuba Instructor, flip flops and a hut

I realized that yesterday within a 24 hour period I was in 3 countries. How crazy is that? I woke in the middle of the desert, chilled a bit in Israel checking email & caught a bite to eat & then by night fall I was sleeping in a hut in Egypt. It doesn't really get more random than that.
The story landing me here is pretty awesome in itself. To be honest, I was a tad nervous crossing the border into Egypt. I prayed for God's protection, but also for my transition to be smooth. So, here we go. I arrived at the border and bump into this girl, Sarah, who is a diving instructor from Switzerland an
d lives in Taba City (45 minutes from my destination). She offers me a ride with her via taxi which is actually owned by the Diving Company. So, I hop in and we end up hanging out on the beach for a bit with diving instructors from every part of the globe. A fellow instructor, Aioda, lives in Nuweiba (where I'm travelling) and gives me a ride from point a to b. Totally unreal. I end the day watching the sun set, lounging on the beach while drinking a freshly squeezed glass of chilled lemon & lime juice (right from the tree!) and reading a book on the history of the country Vietnam. Absolutely awesome.
It has been amazing how every step of the way things fall together and 'just happen.' There has not been one moment where I have felt unsafe. I have felt God's protection throughout the course of this trip and as I sat in the car driving along Egypt's coast next to the Swiss diving instructor I couldn't help but laugh.I am blessed implicitly & am in awe of each step of the journey taken in these few weeks.


So now, I'm on the coast staying in a hut for approximately $6 per day & that's with breakfast included. I woke to the rolling of waves on the shore and the cool breeze making its way into the shutters of the hut. Totally digging this whole set up. I'm pretty much 100 feet from the shore line & the staff here wait on you hand and foot. I feel completely safe and have met some great people. I actually met a guy from Philly who has lived here the past six years. His girlfriend is Egyptian & a travel agent. I shared with her my concerns about Egypt & before even finishing my sentence she was on the phone. She's connected me with fellow friends there and I already have a tour guide & accomodation set up. As I always say, no worries.

No comments: