Sunday, July 27, 2008

Hop, Skip....JUMP




Arrived in Eliat at 4:30 this morning and made my way with a few other backpackers to the beach for a few hours. We sipped freshly brewed tea, ate a bit of bread and watched dawn break on the Israeli shore with Jordan & Egypt's mountains creating a perfect frame on the horizon. Wow... breathtaking.
I soaked in Eliat for about 3.75 hours and the contrast between it and Jerusalem were two polar opposites. It was like Miami beach meets Utah... not much in the way of similarities. To be honest I was disappointed and opted to skip out. So, after visiting the Egyptian consulate to acquire a visa I hopped the border to Jordan.
You may not believe this, but I caught a ride and am presently in the home of a local Bedouin sipping tea and using the internet. We head out to camp in about an hour or so with a dozen other backpackers from around the globe. I'm fairly stoked to sleep under the stars, sip tea and just soak in the beauty of the endless deep red desert mounts and powder blue skies. (Thinking of you, Jess & Jim : ) Tomorrow I'm signed up for a camel tour of the area and then mid-afternoon catching a ride to Petra.
Twenty four hours ago I was chilling in Jerusalem eating challah and walking the streets of Ben Yehuda and now there aren't any streets and I'm sipping tea with Beduoins. Dude, I'm lovin' it!

No comments: