Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Straight Up Bedouin Style







I hopped the border Sunday to Jordan not really certain of what to expect of as well as where exactly I was headed. I met a Canadian on my way out of town who recommended a place in Wadi Rum & that's where I landed. A few hours after departing Israel I was smack dab in the middle of the desert hanging out with some seriously great Bedouins. I must say the entire 2.5

day experience was unreal.


From riding a camel, shimmying across huge rock structures, sipping tea around a fire and falling asleep under a canopy of stars the experience was one in a million. The people at the camp were extremely friendly and did their utmost to ensure that we had an authentic experience. One of my highlights was driving over to another camp when the driver stopped, turned the ignition off and threw me the keys. "You want to drive?" Absolutely! I have to say four wheeling through the desert jumping dunes, swerving and picking up a few other Bedouins on the way was fairly entertaining.


And to top it off, the owner offered me a job to work alongside a Brazilian girl helping with odds and ends at the camp. But fear not 110 Carranza, I did not accept the offer. The Brazilian arrived a few days ago & plans to live there for a few months. Fairly cool.


Well, I'm heading out to Taba and then off to Nuweiba. Both are situated on the Sinai border (Egypt) and are ideal for diving and just relaxing. Plan is to stay for three or four nights, we'll see how it goes.
Next check in.... Africa!




No comments: