Sunday, July 20, 2008

Does a duck float? A duck?yes, a duck...




Todays events could in no way be neglected, so I'm risking carpal tunnel and writing on twice in one day. Early this afternoon I hopped a bus and treked to Masada which is this massive desert mesa standing tall above the Dead Sea and about an hour and a half outside of Jerusalem. It holds great importance for the Israelis and in itself is a symbol of fortitude, resilience and unity. Being that when I arrived it was over 100 degrees I opted to take the skyline up instead of walking. Good call in effort to not become one with the desert on a long term basis.
Following Mesada I met up with two Spaniards and treked to Ein Gedi to take in the ambience of the Dead Sea. We actually hopped off at the wrong stop & made our way around towards the shoreline & actually (unintentionally) ended up at this 4 star spa and managed to avoid the 70 shekel entrance fee ($25). The trolley transported us to the Dead Sea where the shore line was essentially one large slab or white & beige salt. The water was in the mid-80s and as I floated and did my floating as a duck pose, you can actually view the Palestinian Territories on the otherside of the shore line. Crazy. It was wonderful floating, relaxing and soaking in some highly potent uv rays. My epidermis and I are still processing that one.
Following the float I headed for a little time in the mud bath area. There was two large barrels filled with mud extracted from the sea & everyone just gathers around lathering themselves with this thick, warm mud. Awesome. After letting it dry for about twenty minutes or so you rinse of and the skin feels so soft it's unbelievable. The day went fast, as they have been. But it was great to return to Jerusalem as we passed through the desert watching the sun set in the distance. Good stuff. (that's for you pops!)

No comments: