Monday, July 21, 2008

Just hanging around in the Olde Town...



Today was pretty relaxed. My morning was spent at the soup kitchen making burgers & salads for lunch. It's so funny to hear the most random American music here. The cooks and I were singing Kelly Clarkson's, Break Away while chopping peppers and tomatoes. It was totally off key, but I think for 3 Israelis & 1 American we held our own fairly well. There were over 40 volunteers who showed up as a group from the States to pitch in & we were able to accomplish the lunch duties in less than half the time.

-cats taking in a snack & the markets

Later in the afternoon I found a great spot on a roof top that provided a stunning view of the Western Wall and the Dome of the Rock. The views and scenery here are truly one of a kind. It's this melting pot of faith, culture and geography that makes Jerusalem what it is. I've never been anywhere else quite so unique.
--- Soup Kitchen --
At the end of the day I made my way to the JNF (Jewish National Fund). This is a program
in Israel where trees are purchased & then planted for a special event or in honor or memory of someone. There will be five new trees planted on the hills of Jerusalem for individuals that I've had the distinct honor to have known and loved. They not only touched my life & heart but those of many others as well. It is quite a moving experience. Life, although profoundly brief, is quite a beautiful thing and I believe it is not for one day to be taken for granted.


No comments: