Thursday, July 17, 2008

J'lem... day two


Today was above average in terms of interesting experiences. Early this morning I spent a few hours chopping approximately fifty pounds of potatoes at the local soup kitchen. There were about 15 occassions where I was instructed for the 'proper' way of peeling, cutting and removing any and all blemishes. I can now officially add 'peeler of the potato' on the resume.
I had every intention of reaching the Israeli museum & soon found not one Israeli in the city could direct me to its actual location. So the initial 20 minute walked commenced about two hours later. I must say, it was well worth undergoing 100 degree temperatures to see the Shrine of the Book where the Dead Sea Scrolls are kept, the awe inspiring history of Israel and meeting some very interesting people along the way.
It's now near eleven and it has been an awesome day. After a great leisurely walk through Olde City I sat on a bench eating an amazing pomengrate sorbet listening to an older gentleman playing ballads from Fiddler on the Roof on his violen. As I was en route back to the flat I'm staying at I was invited to an open mic night at the local Temple with an area group of religious female acoustic singers. They were really quite impressive and I'm stoked to download their cd upon return to the States.
So, busy day and now I'm off to a fellow Couch Surfers Birthday Party. Have a GREAT day!

No comments: