Saturday, July 26, 2008

On the road...again


I'm here soaking in the last few hours that remain of my time in Jerusalem before heading south to Eilat. I was contemplating sticking around a few more days here, but in my heart I am confident of returning in the near future. So, I'm hopping the midnight bus to Eilat. It sounds a little like the beginning of a Johnny Cash song.
My plan is to spend the night in Eilat and then take off for Petra for a night or two. From what I've heard, Petra is a must see and an experience all its own. I'm hoping to meet up with some other backpackers and track down some Beduoin goat herders and stay with them. Ok, that might sound a bit shady. A few others I've bumped into on the way have highly recommended it. How many times in ones lifetime do you get to sleep in the desert under the stars while sipping mint tea with Beduoins? My guess would be not that many.
The past two weeks have been an amazing journey that I will not soon forget. Last night I spent Shabbat on the roof of a friend of a friends breaking bread under the stars and savoring the last few hours of this magnificient town. There is nothing in the world like feeling the cool breeze of a Jerusalem night with the swaying of pomengrate & date trees above and sharing a meal with strangers from around the world. Again, there are no words to describe so many of my experiences here. Well, off to catch the bus.
Have a truly blessed day.


No comments: