Wednesday, July 16, 2008

From point a to point b....no worries









I arrived in Jerusalem later this afternoon. It was a little over an hour by bus from Tel Aviv and upon entering Jerusalem it is truly two different worlds. The mentality and dress is much more contemporary in Tel Aviv. Walking along Jaffa Rd leading to the Western Wall and Old City those you pass are Jew, Christian, Muslim dressed in their traditional garb. It's an area of the world that is the true melting pot of tradition, religion and culture.

It ends up I'm with another fellow couch surfer who is presently hosting three other surfers from England, Ireland and New York. He's located about 10 minutes walking distance from city center and its in the heart of everything. The irony is that I had no intentions of staying there until last night when the tide shifted & his place popped up & it just so happens its right across the street from the soup kitchen that I start volunteering at tomorrow. Pretty crazy.

Here's a few pics of at the Western Wall just a little over an hour ago. One is me standing not too far off and the other is of women praying. If you look closely you may see the countless pieces of papers wedged into the cracks. They are prayers placed on the wall. The third picture overlooks the Mount of Olives and the largest cemetery in Jerusalem. Its quite a breathtaking view.
I am in awe of Jerusalem and am anxious to have the next week or so to spend exploring and gaining a firmer grasp of this place and the rich history it holds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you're having an awesome time in Israel.. I can't believe I'm saying this! Please be careful. Enjoy the pitas, the food looks and sounds great. Another thing I can't believe I'm saying/writing. Anyway, we love you!
Love you, Carrie, Joe, Eve and Mae

Anonymous said...

sister!! You look so beautiful in your teal blue short!! Is that mine? Ha ha! I miss you. Glad to hear you are having a blast in our homeland. Tristan is sleeping, wrapped up in his John Deere blankets, dreaming of tomorrow's market! love u J